Designed and manufactured near Oxford in the UK, Cobalt's award-winning, innovative products enable non-invasive, sub-surface chemical analysis across a wide range of applications
Cobalt’s proprietary technologies use novel variants of Raman spectroscopy. Our instruments can rapidly and accurately identify materials hidden inside objects or through opaque barriers such as plastic, coloured glass, paper and skin, or can measure the concentrations of materials in mixtures, with a high degree of accuracy.
Our products are applied in a range of applications, including:
- Pharmaceutical quantitative analysis of tablets and capsules
- Raw materials ID verification of pharmaceutical incoming goods
- Handheld detection of hazardous chemicals and explosives
- Airport security screening of liquids, aerosols and gels
- Non-invasive biological analysis, including screening humans for diseases such as osteoporosis and breast cancer
Our headquarters are near Oxford in the UK, with all product design and manufacturing taking place onsite.
Operations began in 2008, developing instruments across a range of Raman applications for laboratory and industrial analysis. The underlying technology is exclusive to the company and was invented at the Science and Technology Facilities Council’s (STFC) Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in the UK.
Cobalt has received numerous awards since the company was founded in 2008. These include:
- The Queen's Award for Enterprise 2015 - in the category of International Trade. The Queen's Award is the UK's highest accolade for business success.
- The 2014 Royal Academy of Engineering MacRobert Award, the UK’s most prestigious prize for innovation in engineering.
- Cobalt was placed top of the 2015 Sunday Times SME Export Track 100 - ranking UK companies with fastest-growing exports; and was placed in the top ten on the 2014 Tech Track 100 - ranking the UK's fastest-growing technology companies.
Full details can be found on our Awards page.
Cobalt Light Systems is audited and monitored by Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance (LRQA). Our UK facility is certified by LRQA to the Quality Management Systems Standard BS EN ISO 9001:2008 for hardware and software design, manufacture, sale and support of non-invasive spectroscopic analysis systems for use in pharmaceutical, security screening and diagnostic applications.
As a company, we are committed to providing the highest quality products that meet and, where possible, exceed the needs and expectations of customers. We continuously work on improving our Quality System to ensure compliance with regulations, national and international standards.
- Download a copy of Cobalt's ISO 9001:2008 certificate
® Cobalt and LiteThru are trademarks of Cobalt Light Systems Ltd., registered in the UK and other countries.
Cobalt Light Systems Terms and Conditions of Sale
Terms and conditions of sale for Cobalt Light Systems Ltd. and Cobalt Light Systems, Inc. are available for download.