Designed and manufactured near Oxford in the UK, our award-winning, innovative products enable non-invasive, sub-surface chemical analysis across a wide range of applications
Formerly Cobalt Light Systems, Now Agilent
On July 7 2017, Agilent Technologies Inc. announced it had acquired Cobalt Light Systems. Headquartered in Santa Clara, California, Agilent is a global leader in life sciences, diagnostics and applied chemical markets. With more than 50 years of insight and innovation, Agilent instruments, software, services, solutions, and people provide trusted answers to its customers' most challenging questions. The company generated revenues of $4.20 billion in fiscal 2016 and employs about 13,000 people worldwide - Read the full story
Agilent’s proprietary technologies use novel variants of Raman spectroscopy. Our instruments can rapidly and accurately identify materials hidden inside objects or through opaque barriers such as plastic, colored glass, paper and skin, or can measure the concentrations of materials in mixtures, with a high degree of accuracy.
Our products are applied in a range of applications, including:
- Pharmaceutical quantitative analysis of tablets and capsules
- Raw materials ID verification of pharmaceutical incoming goods
- Handheld detection of hazardous chemicals, explosives and narcotics
- Airport security screening of liquids, aerosols and gels
Operations began in 2008, developing instruments across a range of Raman applications for laboratory and industrial analysis. The underlying technology is exclusive to the company and was invented at the Science and Technology Facilities Council’s (STFC) Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in the UK.
Our Raman products have received numerous awards. These include:
- The Queen's Award for Enterprise 2015 - in the category of International Trade. The Queen's Award is the UK's highest accolade for business success.
- The 2014 Royal Academy of Engineering MacRobert Award, the UK’s most prestigious prize for innovation in engineering.
- As Cobalt, the company was placed top of the 2015 Sunday Times SME Export Track 100 - ranking UK companies with fastest-growing exports; and was placed in the top ten on the 2014 Tech Track 100 - ranking the UK's fastest-growing technology companies.
Full details can be found on our Awards page.
Agilent is audited and monitored by Lloyd’s Register Quality Assurance (LRQA). Our UK and US facilities are certified by LRQA to the Quality Management Systems Standard BS EN ISO 9001:2015 for hardware and software design, manufacture, sale and support of non-invasive spectroscopic analysis systems for use in pharmaceutical, security screening and diagnostic applications.
As a company, we are committed to providing the highest quality products that meet and, where possible, exceed the needs and expectations of customers. We continuously work on improving our management system to ensure compliance with regulations, national and international standards.