Since the company was founded in 2008, Cobalt has received numerous awards and accolades for product development, innovation and business success
Queen's Award for Enterprise
Cobalt Light Systems received the prestigious 2015 Queen’s Award for Enterprise. The award – in the category of International trade – is the UK’s highest accolade for business success.
The judging panel recognised Cobalt’s outstanding performance in international sales – with 17-fold overseas earnings growth from 2011 to 2014 – citing the establishment of a new Cobalt entity in the USA and strategic partnerships with regional distributors as key factors in winning the award.
- Find out more about Cobalt's Queen's Award
MacRobert Award for Engineering Innovation
Cobalt received the 2014 Royal Academy of Engineering MacRobert Award, the UK’s most prestigious prize for innovation in engineering. Shortlisted against engineering giant Rolls Royce and Qinetiq company OptaSense, Cobalt won the award for the Insight100™ product, which identifies explosive threat materials inside containers in seconds without opening them.
Sunday Times Fast Track Awards
Cobalt tops The Sunday Times BT Business SME Export Track 100 (May 2015):
- SME Export Track 100 ranks Britain’s private small and medium-sized enterprises with the fastest-growing international sales over the last two years
Cobalt top ten on The Sunday Times Hiscox Tech Track 100 (Sept 2014):
- Tech Track 100 ranks Britain’s fastest-growing private technology, media and telecoms companies. At the awards ceremony, Cobalt was also presented with the Tech Track 100 high-tech manufacturing award
Additional Awards & Grants
- R&D 100 Awards 2016 - Finalist in the Analytical/Test category for "Resolve - Handheld Through-Barrier Hazardous Materials, Explosives and Narcotics Identification" - Read the full story
- Oxfordshire Business Awards 2015 Innovation Award - sponsored by Oxford Brookes University - Read the full story
- European Union Horizon 2020 Grant for Development of Online Pharmaceutical Analysis by Transmission Raman Spectroscopy - Read the full story
- 2012 British IP Commercialisation Award - Cobalt was recognised at the 2012 National Design System Awards by National Instruments for its Insight100™ software. The award acknowledged the use of LabVIEW graphical software throughout the company, from laboratory development, field trials and production testing to final end implementation - Read the full story
- Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) Innovation Award 2008, sponsored by the National Physical Laboratory